[Python-ideas] Intermediate Summary: Fast sum() for non-numbers

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 15 22:45:01 CEST 2013

On 7/15/2013 2:54 PM, David Mertz wrote:

> What concatenation is NOT is "addition as far as HUMANS are concerned".

Have you really never added together two or more shopping lists?

Have you never lengthened a string (such as a kite string) or rope by
adding (concatenating) another piece?

Have you never added two piles of papers together by piling one on top
of the other (and order matters here).

As I posted before, What HUMANS do not do is 'concatenate' things. Nor
is addition by concatenation, as in the examples above, usually
considered summation.

Summation usually implies condensation. Summing multiple numbers
produces one number. With a mixture of + and - munbers, the sum may even
be less in magniture than the largest. Summing up an hour meeting should
produce a statement of, say, a minute or less. A concatenation of
everything said is not a summation. Concatenation does not 'condense' or
'reduce', and that, I think, is why some do not see sum as applying to
sequence joining.

In Peano arithmetic, in math, addition of numbers (counts) amounts to
concatenation of sequences of successor operators.

--
Terry Jan Reedy