[Python-ideas] Idea for new multi-line triple quote literal

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jul 1 05:19:57 CEST 2013

nbv4 <nbvfour at gmail.com> writes:

> "dedent" is a weird word, maybe "unindent" would be better?

That ship has sailed, since the name “dedent” is already established
usage in Python (from ‘textwrap.deden in the standard libraryt’).

A better term, by symmetry with “indent”, would have been “outdent”
<URL:https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/outdent>. But that would be
needlessly confusing since we already refer to it in Python by the
neologism “dedent”.

--
 \       “I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little |
  `\   children jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. |