[Python-ideas] Extend module objects to support properties

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Jan 31 23:13:38 CET 2013

On 01/30/2013 09:04 PM, Larry Hastings wrote:
> On 01/30/2013 08:22 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> On 01/30/2013 05:53 PM, Larry Hastings wrote:
>>> If we change math.pi to be a property it wouldn't be in the dict
>>> anymore.  So that has the possibility of breaking code.
>> So make the property access the __dict__:
>
> In which case, it behaves exactly like it does today without a
> property.  Okay... so why bother?  If your answer is "so it can have
> code behind it", maybe you find a better example than math.pi, which
> will never need code behind it.

math.pi wasn't my example, I was just showing how you could use the
__dict__ as well.

Why bother?  Backwards compatibility.

I think I missed your main point of __dict__ access, though -- if it is
set directly then the property doesn't get the chance to update whatever
is supposed to update at the right moment, leading to weird (and most
likely buggy) behavior.

~Ethan~