[Python-ideas] Interrupting threads

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Jan 28 16:50:09 CET 2013

On 01/27/2013 03:59 PM, Charles-François Natali wrote:
 > On 01/27/2013 01:04 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> It's in common use, and not obscure. I am a native speaker, and see no
>> problem with it. Long standing word with a well known and defined
>> meaning.
>
> Really?
> I know about sigprocmask(), pthread_sigmask(), SIG_IGN and SIG_BLOCK,
> interrupt masking...
> I couldn't find a single occurrence of "heed" in the POSIX specification.

Common use is not the same as common technical use.  I don't recall ever
seeing 'heed' or any of its derivatives in technical literature, but I
am very familiar with the word and its meaning.  It's a good choice.

Having said that, I also agree with Cameron that 'canceled' would be a
better word that 'interrupted'.

~Ethan~