[Python-ideas] PEP 3156 / Tulip question: write/send callback/future

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 15:56:55 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm looking through PEP 3156 and the Tulip code, and either something is
missing or I'm not looking in the right places.

I can't find any sort of callback / future return for asynchronous writes,
e.g. in transport.

Should there be no "data_sent" parallel to "data_received" somewhere? Or,
alternatively, "write" returning some sort of future that can be checked
later for status? For connections that aren't infinitely fast it's useful
to know when the data was actually sent/written, or alternatively if an
error has occurred. This is also important for when writing would actually
block because of full buffers. boost::asio has such a handler for
async_write.

Eli