[Python-ideas] question about the Tulip effort

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jan 16 19:07:15 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been reading PEP 3156 and looking at the reference implementation
> (http://code.google.com/p/tulip/). I'll be happy to contribute to the
> effort, and following are a couple of questions on how to do that.

And I'd be happy to have your help!

> 1. Questions and clarifications should be sent to this list (python-ideas),
> correct?

Yes, unless you think it's of little public value, you can always mail
me directly (Tulip is my top priority until the PEP is accepted and
Tulip lands in the 3.4 stdlib).

> 2. Is there a list of tasks help would be needed with? Is it the the TODO
> file in tulip's root dir?

Hm, that's mostly reminders for myself, and I don't always update it.
There are also lots of TODOs and XXXs in the source code (the XXXs
mark things that are *definitely* in need of fixing, like missing
docstrings; TODOs are often just for pondering). You can certainly
read through it, and if you see a task you would like to do, ping me
for details.

Some tasks that I don't think are represented well but where I would
love to get help:

- Write a somewhat significant server app. I have a somewhat
significant client app (crawl.py) but nothing that exercises the
server API at all. I suspect that there are some awkward things in the
server API that will need fixing.

- Try writing a significant app for a protocol other than HTTP.

- Move the StreamReader class out of http_client.py and design an API
to make it easy to hook it up to any protocol.

- Datagram support (read the section in the PEP on this topic first).

> 3. How/where to contribute patches?

I like to get code review requests using codereview.appspot.com (send
them to gvanrossum at gmail.com). Please use the upload.py utility to
upload your patch, don't bother with defining a repository. If I like
your patch I'll probably ask you to submit it yourself, I'll give you
repo access once you've signed a PSF contributor form.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)