[Python-ideas] Poll about -h,--help options

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 19 01:43:07 CET 2013

On 2/18/2013 2:40 AM, anatoly techtonik wrote:

> Is it interesting to know if people expect -h to work as a --help
> equivalent by default?

Of course.

Given that it already does for python itself
"
-?
-h
--help

     Print a short description of all command line options.
"
and at least some of its modules with a command line interface, I am not
sure what you are getting at.

If some python module is deficient, report it on the tracker. If you
think the opt/argparse docs should say more than they do, make a
suggestion here, but be prepared to accept a decision to not add
anything, on the basis that it is mostly our policy to not tell people
how to use Python. (PEP 8 is a style guide for the stdlib, and for other
stuff only as people decide to use it.)

> As it directly affects best practices of using Python in command line,
> can we run such poll on python.org <http://python.org>? I thought that
> this stuff is obvious, but it appears that it is not,

I have no idea what you are referring to, but if some other software is
deficient, take it up with the authors.

--
Terry Jan Reedy