[Python-ideas] Contributing to Python core via an intermediary

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Aug 14 12:32:07 CEST 2013

On 14.08.2013 11:17, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Le Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:03:36 +0200,
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> a écrit :
>>
>> Note that this does not necessarily mean that all code going into
>> the core has to be subject to a CLA. It is still possible to
>> integrate code which has a license compatible with the
>> PSF license, but in general, we'd like to avoid the extra work
>> of having to check and verify such licenses.
>
> Is it possible to "check and verify", say, the common form of the
> (ultra-simple) MIT license (*)? That would make it a safe starting point
> for contributors.
>
> (*) http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

The "check and verify" step would have to be done on a case-by-case
basis. We would need to make sure that the the copyright holders
mentioned in the license are in fact the copyright holders,
check that the license doesn't prevent the PSF from modifying
the PSF license to address future concerns and also pay close
attention to things like patents.

The CLA makes this a lot easier for the PSF and everyone
invovled, which is why we have it :-)

But we're getting off-topic here. Such things should be discussed
on the python-legal list: