[Python-ideas] Deprecating rarely used str methods

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 9 23:57:52 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> I guess it's one of those functions that someone invented as
> example of an involutary string function for a tutorial late in
> the 1980s. It then probably developed a life of its own ;-)

Honestly I don't recall why I ever thought I needed it. But it is there in
string.py in Python 0.9.1. It almost looks like it was just too cool not to
add -- the lower(), upper() an caseswap() functions share a dict mapping
between lowercase <--> uppercase.

> There's even a YouTube video on it:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPrqhB1dmJA
>
> (the author obviously has a Java background ;-))

Oh, wow, that's insane. He's trained himself to type #{ and #} around each
block before filling in the body of the block. :-)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)