[Python-ideas] Deprecating rarely used str methods

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Fri Aug 9 22:25:23 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013, at 21:45, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Deprecation is only useful when there is a concrete plan to remove the
> feature. Python 4000 is so far in the future that it's more of a dream
> than an actual concrete planned release (this is why I don't refer to it
> as Python 4). There may not even be a Python 4000. Who knows?

Maybe there needs to be an official "to do list" for ideas to be
re-examined when Python 4000 becomes a more concrete thing. I think a
"list of warts" has been proposed and rejected recently, but I got the
impression that was due to the perceived pejorative-ness of calling
something that.

I would add str % stuff to the list of things that should be
deprecated... has anyone done any work on a converter for that, that
could be included in a hypothetical 3to4?