[Python-ideas] Module name [was Re: Pre-PEP: adding a statistics module to Python]

Joshua Landau joshua at landau.ws
Wed Aug 7 04:19:36 CEST 2013

On 7 August 2013 02:06, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> As far as the name goes, to cut back on bike-shedding, I'm going to rule out
> any names other than these three:
>
> 1) statistics
> 2) statslib

Ugh. -1 to statslib.

> 3) math.stats
>
> My preference is math.stats because it allows the expansion of math. Others
> may consider that a disadvantage.

Despite being happy this idea was taken so warmly I think being a
subcategory of math is actually a bad idea.

math and cmath are two sides of the same coin -- math always converts
to float and cmath always converts to complex. I don't think a library
like statistics fits on either one of those sides. It "feels" wrong.

So I'm +1 to statistics, a bloodied stake-in-the-heart to statlib and
a -0.5 to math.stats.