[Python-ideas] asyncore: included batteries don't fit

Oleg Broytman phd at phdru.name
Sat Sep 22 20:52:10 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 08:27:10PM +0200, chrysn <chrysn at fsfe.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 08:52:53PM +0400, Oleg Broytman wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 06:31:06PM +0200, chrysn <chrysn at fsfe.org> wrote:
> > > the asyncore module would be much more useful if it were well integrated
> > > in the standard library. in particular, it should be supported by:
> > >
> > > [...]
> >
> >    It seems you want Twisted, no?
>
> if these considerations end in twisted being consecrated as the new
> asyncore, i'd consider that a valid solution too.

   If you mean that Twisted will be included in the standard library --
then no, I'm sure it will not. Python comes with batteries included, but
Twisted is not a battery, it's rather a power plant. I am sure it will
always be developed and distributed separately.
   And developing asyncore to the level of Twisted would be a
duplication of effort.

> then, again,
> subprocess and the onboard servers should work well with *that* out of
> the box.

   If you want subprocess and Twisted to work together -- you know where
to send patches.

PS. In my not so humble opinion what the standard library really lacks
in this area is a way to combine a few asynchronous libraries with
different mainloops. Think about wxPython+Twisted in one program. But I
have no slightest idea how to approach the problem.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            phd at phdru.name