[Python-ideas] itertools.chunks(iterable, size, fill=None)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Sep 3 11:01:44 CEST 2012

anatoly techtonik writes:

 > On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Miki Tebeka <miki.tebeka at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > See the "grouper" example in http://docs.python.org/library/itertools.html
 >
 > As was discussed before, the problem is visibility of the solution,

Well, no, it's apparently not.  You should be well aware of the
solution since you were one of the most ardent posters in this thread
the last time it came up.[1]  Yet you say "I had to *re*implement
chunks". IOW, the implementations which you were already aware of were
inappropriate for your situation.  That suggests that no, there are no
generic solutions suitable for the stdlib yet, and you personally
aren't convinced that any of the implementations belong in your own
private library, either.

You really need to get over those humps before you have a case for a
"higher-visibility" placement of any particular implementation.

Footnotes:
[1]  And I think you cross-posted that time, too, but that's another
issue.  In any case, please stop cross-posting.  Pick one or the
other.  (IMHO, this discussion belongs here on -ideas (or maybe on
python-list), not on python-dev.  Or submit an issue and a patch and
discuss it there.)