[Python-ideas] Interest in seeing sh.py in the stdlib

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Oct 22 13:52:55 CEST 2012

On 22.10.12 04:40, Andrew Moffat wrote:
> The main criticism has been the cleverness of the dynamic lookups.
>  There is also the ability to use a Command object for more explicit
> calls:
>
> cmd = sh.Command("/some/command")
> cmd(arg)
>
> So you have the best of both worlds.  If you like the idea of the
> programs being attributes on the module, you can use the advertised
> way, if you don't, you can use the more explicit way.
>
> Windows support would be a little more difficult.  It existed in an
> old version of sh, when it was merely a wrapper around the subprocess
> module.  Now that sh.py no longer relies on the subprocess module and
> does fork-exec itself (in order to get more flexible access to the
> processes), Windows is currently unsupported.  My current
> understanding is that most of the value comes from the linux/OSX
> folks, but Windows support is scheduled for the future.

This is what I don't like:

subprocess is not used, but you implement stuff yourself.
Instead of bypassing subprocess I would improve subprocess
and not duplicate the windows problem, which is most of the
time _not_ easy to get right.

Can you explain why you went this path?

cheers - chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023