[Python-ideas] PEP for Python folder structure

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed May 30 13:01:42 CEST 2012

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:45:31AM +0200, Armin Wieser wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to write a PEP about folder structure in python projects.
>
> Why?
>
> PEP stands for Python Enhancement Proposal, and relate to suggested
> changes to the Python language and standard library. Your blog post
> about folder structure:
>
>> [0] http://jcalderone.livejournal.com/39794.html
>
> is interesting, but it has nothing to do with either Python the language
> or the standard library, as far as I can tell.

We do have informational PEPs for the purpose Armin is describing, but
we usually only try to use those for standardization of things.

I don't think a standard project dir layout is really needed. Helping new
package authors finding the right structure for their project does
help, though.

Perhaps the idea could be turned into a section of the (distutils)
documentation, a how-to or a page on the wiki ?!

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 30 2012)
2012-07-17: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 48 days to go
2012-07-02: EuroPython 2012, Florence, Italy ...           33 days to go
2012-05-16: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13 ...    http://egenix.com/go29

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/