[Python-ideas] sys.implementation

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 02:50:23 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> I think source_to_cache() is a bad example, though, because the operation would
> basically identical in every Python implementation. The tag will just change. It
> even changes in every CPython version.

I believe that was Brett's point. Currently other implementations have
to replace imp.get_tag() to change the magic string, whereas that kind
of info could easily be consolidated into a "sys.implementation"
struct that standardised a few things so that impls just needed to
populate the struct correctly rather than making scattered changes to
a variety of different modules.

Cheers,
Nick.