[Python-ideas] TextIOWrapper callable encoding parameter

Rurpy rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 17:56:02 CEST 2012

On 06/12/2012 03:48 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:

> > Some months ago, I proposed to automatically detect if a file contains
> > a BOM and uses it to set the encoding. Various methods were proposed
> > but there was no real consensus. One proposition was to use a codec
> > (e.g. "bom") which uses the BOM if it is present, and so don't need to
> > reread the file twice.
> >
> > For the pipe issue: it depends where the encoding specification is. If
> > the encoding is written at the end of your "file" (stream), you have
> > to store the whole stream content (few MB or maybe much more?) into
> > memory. If it is in the first lines, you have to store these lines in
> > a buffer. It's not easy to decide for the threshold.

That's always a problem.  When trying to determine a
character encoding one may have to read the entire file
because it could consist of all ascii characters except
the very last one.  (And of course there is no guarantee
one can determine *the* encoding at all).

Nevertheless, I think thee is a very large class of
problems that can be usefully handled by looking at a
limited amount of data at the start of a file (or stream).

The Python coding declaration in one example (obviously
picked hoping it would have some resonance here.)

The buffer object used by TextIOWrapper already reads the
start of the stream and buffers the first few lines, so
why not take advantage of that rather than repeating the
work?

One of the things I am not sure about is if there are
cases when the buffered read returns, say, only one
line, as might happen with tty input.

> > I don't like the codec approach because the codec is disconnected from
> > the stream. For example, the codec doesn't know the current position
> > in stream nor can read a few more bytes forward or backward. If you
> > open the file in "append" mode, you are not writing at the beginning
> > but at the end of the file. You may also seek at an arbitrary position
> > before the first read...
> >
> > There are also some special cases. For example, when a text file is
> > opened in write mode, the file is seekable and the file position is
> > not zero, TextIOWrapper calls encoder.setstate(0) to not write the BOM
> > in the middle of the file. (See also Lib/test/test_io.py for related
> > tests.)

A callable encoding parameter would not be terribly useful
with a file opened in write or append mode, but it's behavior
would be predictable: a write would result in an error
because the encoding hadn't been set.  A read in the middle'
of the file would work the same way as at the beginning.
This is probably not very useful, but is consistent.

Of course one could choose to implement a callable encoding
parameter such that some or all of these paths are detected
at open and declared illegal then.  One could prohibit the
encoding call after a seek though I'm not sure there is any
point to that.

> > That's my favorite method because you have the full control on the
> > stream. (I wrote tokenize.open). But yes, it does not work on
> > non-seekable streams (e.g. pipes).

> > Does it really matter? You usually need to read few bytes to get the encoding.

It certainly matters if input is from a pipe.  Quoting from
my other message:

  $ cat test.utf8 | python3 stdin.py reopen1
  got exception: [Errno 29] Illegal seek

The whole point of my suggestion was that you've already
read those few bytes -- but by the time you have access
to them, you've already been forced to choose an encoding.
My suggestion simply defers that encoding setting until
after you've had a chance to look at the bytes.

> > Why not reading data until you the encoding is known instead?

That's how I do it now -- open file in binary mode
and read it, buffer it, determine encoding, and henceforth
decode the bytes data "by hand" to text.

But that's an awful lot like what TextIOWrpper does, yes?
Why can't I use TextIOWrapper instead of rewriting it myself?
(Yes, I know I can reopen or rewrap the binary stream but
as I said, that loses the one-pass processing which breaks
pipes.)

> > Can you post the modified somewhere so I can play with it?

I put a diff against the Python-3.2.3 _pyio.py file at:

  http://pastebin.com/kZHmcBdm

Much of the diff is just moving existing stuff around.
The note at the bottom says: