[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Feb 11 04:20:15 CET 2012

Matt: directing a threading rant at me because I posted about unicode, a
completely different subject, is bizarre. I have not said a word on this
thread, and hardly ever on any other thread, about threading,
concurrency, and the GIL.  I have no direct interest in these subjects.
But since you directed this at me, I will answer.

On 2/10/2012 9:24 PM, Matt Joiner wrote:
> So with that in mind, can the following changes occur in Python 3
 > without breaking spec?
>
> - Replace the ref-counting with another GC?
> - Remove the GIL?

If you had paid attention to this thread and others, you would know

1. These are implementation details not in the spec.
2. There are other implementations without these.
3. People have attempted the changes you want for CPython. But so far,
both would have substantial negative impacts on many CPython users,
including me.
4. You are free to try to improve on previous work.

As to the starting subject of this thread: I switched to Python 1.3,
just before 1.4, when Python was an obscure language in the Tiobe 20s. I
thought then and still do that it was best for *me*, regardless of what
others decided for themselves.

So while am I pleased that it usage has risen considerably, I do not
mind that it has (relatively) plateaued over the last 5 years. And I am
not panicked that an up wiggle was followed by a down wiggle.

--
Terry Jan Reedy