[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Feb 9 19:36:41 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:

> On 09.02.2012 19:02, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>  And make installing Python on the Mac a lottery?
>>

> Or a subset of NumPy?
>
> The main offender is numpy.linalg, with needs a BLAS library that should
> be tuned to the hardware. (There is a reason NumPy and SciPy binary
> installers on Windows are bloated.) And from what I have seen on complaints
> building NumPy on Mav it tends to be the BLAS/LAPACK stuff that drives
> people crazy, particularly those who want to use ATLAS (Which is a bit
> stupid, as OpenBLAS/GotoBLAS2 is easier to build and much faster.) If
> Python comes with NumPy built against Netlib reference BLAS, there will be
> lots of complaints that "Matlab is so much faster then Python" when it is
> actually the BLAS libraries that are different. But I am not sure we want
> 50-100 MB of bloat in the Python binary installer just to cover all
> possible cases of CPU-tuned OpenBLAS/GotoBLAS2 or ATLAS libraries.

I don't know much of this area, but maybe this is something where a dynamic
installer (along the lines of easy_install) might actually be handy?

The funny thing is that most Java software is even more bloated and you
rarely hear about that (at least not from Java users ;-).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)