[Python-ideas] PEP 4XX: Adding sys.implementation

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 03:39:53 CEST 2012

> I've written up a PEP for the sys.implementation idea.  Feedback is welcome!

Cool, it's better with PEP! Even the change looks trivial.

> name
>  the name of the implementation (case sensitive).

It would help if the PEP (and the documentation of sys.implementation)
lists at least the most common names. I suppose that we would have
something like: "CPython", "PyPy", "Jython", "IronPython".

> version
>  the version of the implementation, as opposed to the version of the
>  language it implements.  This would use a standard format, similar to
>  ``sys.version_info`` (see `Version Format`_).

Dummy question: what is sys.version/sys.version_info? The version of
the implementation or the version of the Python lnaguage? The PEP
should explain that, and maybe also the documentation of
sys.implementation.version (something like "use sys.version_info to
get the version of the Python language").

> cache_tag

Why not adding this information to the imp module?

Victor