[Python-ideas] Structured Error Output

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 02:58:04 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Bryce Boe <bboe at cs.ucsb.edu> wrote:
> Furthermore, having this separation is somewhat pointless without the
> structured part, as ideally I would like it if all compilers and
> interpreters produced similar output so I could easily measure how
> many errors beginning programmers have in various languages and group
> them by type. I have to start somewhere with this project and I was
> hoping the python community would be in favor of adding such support
> as I feel the changes are relatively trivial.

And we're telling you that no, the changes you're interested in are
not trivial - the use of stderr is embedded deep within many parts of
the interpreter.

I suggest just raising the bar for your students and require that they
write their errors to both stderr *and* to an error log. Interpreter
generated errors will show up in the former, but will never appear in
the latter.

Cheers,
Nick.