[Python-ideas] Add from __experimental__ import bla [was: Should we move to replace re with regex?]

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 1 20:26:35 CEST 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 09:29 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry-+ZN9ApsXKcEdnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> In the face of PEP 402, how could you enforce that?  Even if you can't or
>> don't want to enforce it, how would a user be able to verify that it was the
>> case for something in experimental?
>
>I'm sorry, I don't follow. The experimental package would only contain
>code distributed as part of the stdlib, and the code put in the
>stdlib's experimental package would get the same care from the core
>developers as the rest of the stdlib. The only difference would be
>that we'd drop the guarantee that the APIs offered would still be
>present in the next release (i.e. from 3.3 -> 3.4; the guarantees
>would hold from 3.3.1 -> 3.3.2).

As long as the "guarantees" only cover code distributed in the experimental
package with Python, that's okay.  Maybe I was reading too much into Nick's
comment, but when third party code can situate itself under 'experimental', we
obviously can't make those same guarantees of the code we don't distribute.

-Barry