[Python-ideas] Terminology for "earthshattering" [was: Add from __experimental__ import bla]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Sep 1 10:43:47 CEST 2011

Guido van Rossum writes:

 > (*) Can we pick a terminology so we all agree that "3.3.3" is a "minor
 > release", "3.3" is a "major release", and "3" an "earthshattering
 > release"?

I'm not sure "earthshattering" is Pythonic enough.<duck />

If you're willing to go with something pedestrian, at least the Debian
types, and I think Gentoo, use "epoch" to mean that upstream decided
to redo its version numbering.  In a sense, I think that applies to
Python 3 (which has to be judged a success, since it induced Linus to
go to Linux 3!) and Linux 3 for that matter.

How about the leading digit being the "Pythonic epoch", and "Python 3
was an epochal release"?  Or "epoch-making release"?