[Python-ideas] Default return values to int and float

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Oct 5 16:31:36 CEST 2011

Ron Adam wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 19:08 +1300, Greg Ewing wrote:
>> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>
>>> I'm out of ideas here. But of all these, str.find is probably still
>>> the worst -- I've flagged bugs caused by it too many times to count.
>> Could a with-statement be used here somehow?
>>
>>      with finding(x, s) as i:
>
> Or an iterator.
>
>      for i in finding(x, s):

How would the case of not found be handled in either of these proposals?

     with finding(x, s) as i:
     if not i:  # same problem as str.find, unless i is not a simple int

     for i in finding(x, s):
     else:
         # unless for loop has a break, this will happen...
         # not a problem until you want more than just the first
         # occurrence of s in x

~Ethan~