[Python-ideas] Function multiple arguments assignment

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 00:35:18 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Paul Moore wrote:

> Perhaps subprocess.Popen could have a 'default' argument
> specifying what to do for unspecified file descriptors.
> Then the above could be written
>
>   subprocess.Popen(["exe"], default = subprocess.PIPE)

Not to be too pointed about it, but IMO the last thing
subprocess.Popen needs is more keyword arguments. I realize that it
needs to be many things to many people, but its signature already
requires >50 lines of documentation and a similar volume of example
text to explain. To me, Nick Coghlan's more-helper-functions approach
seems more sensible here.

Geremy Condra