[Python-ideas] Linking Doug's stdlib documentation to our main modules doc.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 10:51:21 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> these become a problem, either the links can then be dropped from new
>> versions of the documentation,
>
> Since there will be no new 2.x versions I find this confusing.

Everything I have said in this thread is based on the (to me, obvious)
presumption that the current PyMOTW would be linked only from the 2.7
documentation (and there *will* be plenty of maintenance releases that
will pick up that change).

Once a Python 3 version of PyMOTW is available (which shouldn't take
*too* long, given the executable nature of the examples), then similar
links could be added to the 3.x documentation.

Another idea that occurred to me this evening to help mitigate any
concerns regarding stale links to an external site in the bundled
documentation (e.g. source builds, CHM files) is to pipe the PyMOTW
references through a redirector on python.org. Those links could then
remain stable even if the PyMOTW files are moved to a new domain at
some point in the future.

Cheers,
Nick.