[Python-ideas] Assignment decorators (Re: The Descriptor Protocol...)

Boris Borcic bborcic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:25:48 CET 2011

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Boris Borcic wrote:
>
>> Tkinter did for tcl what SQLAlchemy does for SQL, and I feel both
>> reveal a challenge for python to be more open to foreign code syntax.
>
> I tend to think it's a mistake to put more than one
> syntax in the same source file. It confuses the
> heck out of code editors and other tools that need
> to understand the code to some extent.

Of course the challenge implies easy delimitation of what's what.
"Putting more than one syntax in the same source" is not the right way to put
it, unless you count as an example the case of a triple-quoted SQL query string
(what should count as the "plain vanilla" realization of said challenge).

In text processing documents it's been 20 years since the easy wysiwyg embedding
of images, drawings, movie clips etc, together with click-and-point specialized
editors.

Cheers, BB