[Python-ideas] Enums

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 02:27:44 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> P.S.  I used the term "language" instead of stdlib because I expect
> enums to be like decorators and context managers in that they
> will be used almost everywhere -- you won't be able to ignore them.
> Effectively, they will become a core language feature.

I agree with this - and I think it's the named value aspect that will
make them so pervasive. It's why I keep hitting on
collections.namedtuple as a source of inspiration - it adds as little
as possible to ordinary tuples to provide the additional benefits.
Enums, on the other hand, come with a lot of excess baggage that many
potential use cases simply don't need.

Cheers,
Nick.