[Python-ideas] Cleaner separation of help() and interactive help.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 01:35:17 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 2:36 AM, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
> But I don't think we can do all of this at one time for backward
> compatibility reasons.(?)  So currently I'm looking for guidance on what and
> how I can best go ahead with some parts of this.

I believe the approach we ended up using for the HTML parts in 3.2
(i.e. leave the "old" way around, but deprecated, for anyone using the
undocumented-but-public APIs, while adding new APIs for the new,
better way) should work in this case as well. It does delay the
removal of the old code until 3.4, but it's the most conservative way
to give people a chance to fix anything that breaks (the downside of
course being that anyone using the APIs has to do some version
specific tap-dancing to select which API to use).

Cheers,
Nick.