[Python-ideas] Proposal for new-style decorators

Christophe Schlick cschlick at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 20:45:57 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> Decorators were one of the biggest successes in recent years, so we would be
> foolish to dismiss the idea of simplifying them out of hand. But I think you
> are doing yourself a disservice by referring to this proposal as "new
> syntax". Normally when people talk about syntax, they are referring to
> language syntax (i.e. a change to the Python interpreter), and we're pretty
> conservative about adding new syntax.

You are right. I've mostly used the expression "new-style decorators"
(which corresponds to the idea of "new idiom" that you propose) but I
guess that there are still a couple of unwanted "new syntax" in the
post. At the beginning of the post, I say that "no existing syntax is
broken", so the proposal does not change anything for the interpreter.
Moreover, the old idiom can be used in combination with the new one,
so no existing code can be broken by the proposal.

CS