[Python-ideas] reusing realpath()

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Sep 25 16:11:57 CEST 2010

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 00:00:57 +1000
Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
> writes:
>
> > Again, why not simply improve realpath()?
>
> Because that already does what it says it does.

So what? The behaviour of fetching the canonical name can be added to
the behaviour of resolving symlinks. It wouldn't be incompatible with
the current behaviour AFAICT. And it would be better than adding yet
another function to our ménagerie of path-normalizing functions.
We already have abspath(), normpath(), normcase(), realpath() -- all
with very descriptive names as you might notice. We don't need another
function.

Regards

Antoine.