[Python-ideas] Ordered storage of keyword arguments

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Oct 29 11:15:42 CEST 2010

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:30:26 +0200
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> Greg Ewing wrote:
>>>
>>> But needing to know the order of definitions in a class
>>> is a very uncommon thing to want to do in the first
>>> place.
>>
>> I've already pointed to a couple of existing use cases where the
>> authors had to play all sorts of tricks to access the order of
>> such definitions.
>>
>> Since Python programs are executed sequentially (within the resp.
>> scope) in the order given in the source file, it is quite natural
>> to expect this order to be accessible somehow.
>>
>> If it were easier to access this order, a lot of the extra magic
>> needed to map fixed order records to Python classes could go
>> away.
>
> Interestingly, this order is already accessible on the code object used
> to build the class namespace:

> ...   class C:
> ...     x = 5
> ...     def y(): pass
> ...     z = 6
> ('__name__', '__module__', 'x', 'y', 'z')

Interesting indeed and I kind of expected that order to be
available somewhere via the compiler.

Can this be generalized to arbitrary classes ?

Would other Python implementations be able to provide the
same information ?

If so, we could add this order as .__deforder__ tuple to class
objects.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 29 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/