[Python-ideas] i18n and Python tracebacks

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun May 16 21:29:34 CEST 2010

On 5/16/2010 4:09 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Andre Roberge writes:
>
>   >  I think it would be a good idea if Python tracebacks could be translated
>   >  into languages other than English - and it would set a good
>   >  example.
>
> If you do this, you really need a way to recover the original message
> (or a pointer to it) for programs that automatically analyze the
> tracebacks.  A hash code or something like that might do the trick.
> And, no, running the program again with --trace-lang=C is not good
> enough; there's no guarantee you can reproduce.

I already posted the suggestion, from gmane, that translation be in
addition to rather than instead of the English original, both for the
above reason and for human language learning either way.

> AFAIK this requires an extension to the current localization
> infrastructure, both gettext for C and in Python.

It will probably required efforts of more than 1 person, perhaps from
multiple language communities (who would most likely have to cooperate
in English ;-).

Terry Jan Reedy