[Python-ideas] feature to make traceback objects usable without references to frame locals and globals

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jun 29 02:06:45 CEST 2010

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>>When Python code calls into Pyrex/C code which then call back into
>>Python, I understand they insert dummy frames into the tracebacks to
>>make the call stack more complete.
>
> I suppose they do this for
> better error reporting, right ?

Yes.

This is one reason I would like to be able to have traceback
objects without a corresponding frame. Having to create an
entire frame just to have somewhere to put the file name is
very annoying.

Also, being able to remove the whole frame from a traceback
object seems like a cleaner and more complete way to implement
what the OP wanted.

--
Greg