[Python-ideas] Rename time module to "posixtime"

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Jun 15 12:16:26 CEST 2010

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:09:02 -0400
Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the common complains about working with time values in Python,
> is that it some functionality is available in time module, some in
> datetime module and some in both.

Is it a common complaint, really?
The common complaint, IMO, is that *none* of those two modules provides
a complete feature set in itself.

> I propose a series of steps towards improving this situation.
>
> 1. Create posixtime.py initially containing just  "from time import *"
> 2. Add python implementation of time.* functions to posixtime.py.
> 3. Rename time module to _posixtime and add time.py with a deprecation
> warning and "from _posixtime import *".

I don't understand the purpose. I certainly like time.time() and I
don't see the point of making it go away (will we have to use one of
these "obvious" datetime-based one-liners instead?).

Regards

Antoine.