[Python-ideas] Moving development out of the standard library

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Wed Jun 9 15:19:41 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Isn't that "impression" largely constructed, and propagated by a
> limited number of people who apparently don't like the very idea of a
> "batteries included" stdlib?

I don't think so.  I've no particular dislike of "batteries included"
per se.  What I don't like is dealing with packages that may or may not
be in the standard library (that affects the requirements for my
software), or that may have different names or update policies depending
on whether they're part of the standard library (because that affects my
code, always negatively).

> There has been an amount of anti-stdlib
> activism (including in this thread) that I find both antagonizing and
> unconstructive.  Outside of that vocal minority, there doesn't seem to
> be that much criticism against the stdlib.

Unconstructive in what way?

Writing cross-Python-version code that deals with the differences
between the stdlib and 3rd-party versions of packages is certainly
unconstructive, but that's an argument to avoid moving packages into the
standard library.

One thing that seems to be happening is that the so-called "vocal
minority" is growing.  I think that should be expected as the acceptance
of Python and applications built on it gain wider penetration.

  -Fred