[Python-ideas] Moving development out of the standard library

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jun 7 21:49:38 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 June 2010 20:20, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> > distutils2 won't be in 2.7 at least, and any packaging system not
> available
> > for Python 2 would be irrelevant.
>
> I find it hard to interpret this in any way that doesn't pretty much
> imply "Python 3 is irrelevant". While I disagree with that, I suspect
> it isn't what you mean. So can you clarify?

It's kind of a moot point as Tarek isn't planning to only support Python 3.
But developing packaging libraries for *only* Python 3 would mean that an
alternate ecosystem would have to continue to support Python 2, and that
alternate ecosystem would produce superior tools because that's where all
the users actually are.  For the next few years at least Python 3 needs to
ride on Python 2's coat tails if it's going to keep up.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org