[Python-ideas] Small enhancement to os.path.splitext

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-python.b4bdba at mired.org
Wed Apr 21 17:24:33 CEST 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:06:01 +0100
Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 April 2010 11:58, Fred Drake <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> > As such legacy fades (however slowly), should we *increase* the amount
> > of code that deals with it, or should we move on?
>
> It's not clear to me that it's all "legacy". I had the impression that
> MacOS used a case insensitive filesystem - is that right?

Half right: MacOS has a couple of native file systems, and they can
all be either case-sensitive or case-insensitive. Most Mac
applications now work correctly on case-sensitive file systems, so you
can safely make all your Mac file systems case-sensitive, which wasn't
always the case. If you're using unix software - well, it's not all
case-insensitive friendly.

zfs file systems - used on Solaris and BSD, and available though
orphaned for MacOS - also consider case sensitivity optional.

> Certainly, I know that MacOS uses Unicode normalisation, so simple
> string comparison is definitely not correct. (I only use MacOS as an
> example to avoid the assumption that this is a Windows-only issue -
> there are also case-insensitive filesystems available for Unix in
> general, if nothing else SMBFS).

Unicode normalization is an option for zfs file systems.

    <mike