[Python-ideas] [Wild Idea] Static Ducks

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 25 00:54:08 CEST 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 07:04:46 pm Masklinn wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2009, at 01:40 , Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > The world disagrees with you:
> >
> > […]
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_typing
>
> Not really:
>  > It is the opposite of strong typing, and consequently the term
>  > weak
>
> typing has as many different meanings as strong typing does
>
> Go to "strong typing" and you have a list of 9 different (and not
> necessarily compatible) definitions of "strong typing".

How does Wikipedia stating that there are many definitions of weak
typing support your assertion that "there is not [sic] definition of
weak typing"? I think it is disingenuous of you to delete the text of
yours I quoted.

The terms weak and strong typing are very common use in the real world.
If they don't have a single, formal, precise definition, that's too
bad, but it doesn't prevent them from being useful so long as we
remember that they are fuzzy terms. The English language is full of
words and terms with multiple definitions and fuzzy gradings. We manage
to communicate about relative differences in size quite well without a
single objective and precise definition of "large", and we can
communicate about relative differences in strength of the type system
of languages quite well without a single objective and precise
definition of type strength.

--
Steven D'Aprano