[Python-ideas] adding digital signature and encryption "hashes" to hashlib?

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Mon Sep 21 02:32:16 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM, CTO <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Besides the fact that hashes and encryption are pretty much totally
>> > different
>>
>> I know it seems that way at first glance, but in fact they are strongly
>> related.  There's a reason all three (and nothing else) are exported
>> through OpenSSL's EVP API.
>>
>> Bill
>
> Don't get me wrong, I like the basic idea you're advancing, and in
> use hashes and crypto are frequently seen together, but they solve
> different problems in *very* different ways. The fact that you-
> who obviously have some interest in crypto and presumably a good
> deal of knowledge about it- seem to be under the impression that
> RSA and SHA have some kinship, well, it doesn't reassure me about
> the ability of non-experts to figure out what's what. IMO, adding
> public key crypto routines to hashlib seems almost guaranteed to
> increase that confusion. Others will doubtless disagree.
>
> Geremy Condra

I don't like the attempt to overload the hash function API.
Encryption and decryption should not be done using a digest() method.
That makes no sense.  They are stream APIs with a constant mapping of
bytes in to bytes out rather than a hash function that always outputs
a constant number of bytes.

I wouldn't put signing functions in hashlib itself but any common EVP
wrapping code under could be shared.  Before doing that I really
suggest someone fleshes out the API and limits its scope to avoid
feature creep.

http://pycrypto.org/ is the API that most Python code wanting crypto
services use today.