[Python-ideas] [Wild Idea] Static Ducks

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Sep 20 11:02:23 CEST 2009

Dj Gilcrease wrote:

> Since you work on Pyrex and one of the potential use cases I listed
> was for python to c compilers is there anything you would change about
> my specified syntax and usage to work better for Pyrex?

Well, Pyrex already has its own syntax for declaring types
(essentially adopted from C) so it doesn't really need
another one. Also, there's no expectation that Pyrex will
be able to compile Python code in general, so it doesn't
matter to Pyrex what type declaration syntax, if any, gets
use in Python.

You might like to talk to the Cython crowd -- being able
to compile pure Python code *is* one of their goals.

If I were designing a language from scratch now with type
declarations, I would try to arrange it so that the types
come *after* the names being declared, as in Pascal,
because that makes it easier to scan down a list of
declarations looking for the definition of a name.

Also I don't particularly care for your use of $. It
looks out of place amongst the rest of the Python language.

--
Greg