[Python-ideas] XOR

Dj Gilcrease digitalxero at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 02:06:38 CET 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:
> I think you are missing the point: ^ is bitwise or. Don't think we can
> always go from bitwise to boolean operator by casting to bool. Xor is a
> special case.

No you cannot always go from bitwise to logical, but in the xor case
it works, which is the case you were wanting to add syntax for. Just
because it is also bitwise syntax does not mean you cannot use it in
logical operations where it is intended to work.

The only benefit I see to adding xor is not having to cast items to a
bool before doing the test, which could be solved with no syntax
changes by adding the __xor__ method to the types you want to check,
though I think adding this to builtins would fall under the
moratorium.

could define __xor__ for all objects, except where the bitwise xor is
intended as

def __xor__(self, other):
	return bool(self) ^ bool(other)