[Python-ideas] XOR

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 28 01:42:08 CET 2009

I'm not in favour of of adding an xor operator, but it seems to me it IS
possible to make it behave somewhat analagously to 'and' and 'or' as far as
what it returns:

    X xor Y   evaluates to:

X if bool(X)==True and bool(Y)==False
Y if bool(Y)==True and bool(X)==False
False if bool(X)==Bool(Y)==True
Y if bool(X)==bool(Y)==False

The last case is analagous to X or Y evaluating to Y when
bool(X)==bool(Y)==False, e.g.
    [] or 0    ==    0

Admittedly there is an aestheically unpleasing asymmetry here.
But it means you could write code such as
    Z = X xor Y
    if Z:
         <do something with Z>
        # Z is known to be either X or Y

Of course, there is no evaluation short-circuiting.
Rob Cliffe