[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Oct 23 05:38:51 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 8:04 PM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The trick is figuring out in advance which is the 300 and which is the
> 1 or 2. My suggestion is that we allow them to effectively self-select;
> that we allow those who are skilled enough and patient enough- and
> who happen to have ideas of unusual merit- to prove that to the
> Python community. If the results are great, great! Two years down the
> line Python has a great new feature. If not, oh well- it's not like you
> are under any obligation to merge it. And there's probably merit in
> keeping the really wretched ones around too, if only to say "no way,
> tried it, had to kill it with fire". Either way, Python wins.

I hope so.

But no feature is an island. They must work together. Two or three
features that are each individually well thought-out and implemented
in separate branches might still be a disaster when combined.

Also, ten new features, even if they all fit together, may just be too
much new stuff for the user community to digest at once.