[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Oct 21 22:32:47 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 13:20, Mathias Panzenböck <
grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net> wrote:

> I think if such a moratorium is instated it should be announced way before
> the
> feature freeze of the version that will represent the feature set of the
> moratorium. So this should have been announced before 3.1 was released.

That's not necessary. If you look at the PEPs that are even remotely going
to fall under this moratorium are PEPs 3142, 382, 380, 369, 335, and 286.
The newest one, PEP 382, was checked in back in April which is five months
ago. This is not about to cut someone off from getting their suggestion into
Python that was on the verge of acceptance. If anything this is a good time
to do this as the hazy "does this go into 2.7 or not" question has held back
new additions to the language.

-Brett