[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:07:55 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Dino Viehland <dinov at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Jesse wrote:
>> I don't think IronPython should support multiprocessing, personally.
>> While there are a few things within it that probably make sense
>> (managers and the like) does it really make a ton of sense to run
>> multiple iron python VMs from a single parent?
>
> The problem w/ this is that people are going to use multiprocessing
> and then someone is going to try running code which uses it on
> IronPython/Jython and it isn't going to work.  So maybe we could have
> a version of multiprocessing that transparently works in a completely
> different fashion under the hood but it seems like the module should
> still exist and be usable.

I'm game, I just have reservations about doing this - something like
multiprocessing that isn't multiprocessing means certain
things/expectations applications might have could break in a dummy
context.

Since we're derailing, I'm game talking about this privately so we can
pass ideas back and forth.

jesse