[Python-ideas] Default arguments in Python - the return - running out of ideas but...

Jeremy Banks jeremy at jeremybanks.ca
Wed May 13 16:52:57 CEST 2009

To someone who's a novice to this, could someone explain to me why it
has to be an existing keyword at all? Since not identifiers are valid
in that context anyway, why couldn't it be a new keyword that can
still be used as an identifier in valid contexts? For example (not
that I advocate this choice of keyword at all):

    def foo(bar reinitialize_default []): # <-- it's a keyword here
        reinitialize_default = "It's an identifier here!"

That would be a syntax error now and if it were defined as a keyword
only in that context it wouldn't introduce backwards compatibility
problems and wouldn't force us to reuse an existing keyword in a
context that may be a bit of a stretch.

Is there a reason that this wouldn't be a viable approach?