[Python-ideas] Default arguments in Python - the return

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Tue May 12 07:06:52 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 12, 2009, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:
> >
> > I thought was very clear that I was talking about my interpretation
> > of what was Pythonic, and clear that I was in no way talking about
> > trying to claim authority. I feel a bit like I've been targetted by
> > the thought police, truth be told, although that overstates matters. I
> > didn't think I was in any way saying "My way is absolutely more
> > Pythonic, you should all think like me", but much more along the lines
> > of, "Hey, I think my solution captures something elegant and Pythonic,
> > surely that's worth talking about even if there are some practical
> > considerations involved".  I just thought I'd be clear in saying
> > "seems to me to be more Pythonic" rather than "is more Pythonic".
>
> That may have been your intent, but it sure isn't what I read in your
> original post.  I suggest you re-read it looking for what might get
> interpreted as obstreperous banging on the table:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2009-May/004601.html
>
> If you still don't see it, I'll discuss it with you (briefly!) off-list;
> that kind of tone discussion is really off-topic for this list.

Agreed. Anyone else who wants to chime in, feel free to email me off-list.
Regardless of the rights and wrongs, I'll of course be extra-careful in
future to be crystal clear about my meaning.

As far as I can tell, my original email is littered with terms like 'seems
to me', 'in my opinion', 'personally' etc which I would think would convey
to anyone that I'm talking about a personal opinion and not trying to
discredit any one or any thing. Not that it's about counting, but I count no
fewer than seven occasions where I point out that I am advancing a personal
opinion rather than making a universal statement. I'm not sure what else I
should have done.

Cheers,
-T