[Python-ideas] A Continuations Compromise in Python

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun May 3 14:30:55 CEST 2009

Steven D'Aprano <steve at ...> writes:

> It's hardly "premature" to notice that recursive code in Python is
> significantly slower and less efficient than in other languages. This
> is a known problem, or at least issue, since some people consider that
> the solution (tail-recursion optimization) is worse that the problem.

Is there some evidence that this "known issue" has been popping up in real-world
production Python code (I am not talking about Lisp, C, or any other language),
rather than academic discussions?

Premature optimization is trying to optimize something which is not a
significant contributor to execution time.

Regards

Antoine.