[Python-ideas] PL internationalisation

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Sat May 2 14:18:44 CEST 2009

Hello,

There was thread about internationalisation of python (the language itself) in the case specific case of brasilian portuguese.

I stepped on the following paper about a Perl dialect in latin!
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/HTML/Perligata.html

which I found great, especially because they explicitely address both question of why and how (very rare):
Abstract
This paper describes a Perl module -- Lingua::Romana::Perligata -- that makes it possible to write Perl programs in Latin. A plausible rationale for wanting to do such a thing is provided, along with a comprehensive overview of the syntax and semantics of Latinized Perl. The paper also explains the special source filtering and parsing techniques required to efficiently interpret a programming language in which the syntax is (largely) non-positional.

Denis

PS: This paper comes from a site mainly devoted to teaching of programming that also holds the following perl (sic):
"Seven Deadly Sins of Introductory Programming Language Design"
Abstract
   We discuss seven undesirable features common to many programming languages used to teach first-time programmers, and illustrate typical pedagogical difficulties which
stem from them with examples drawn from the programming languages ABC, Ada, C, C++, Eiffel, Haskell, LISP, Modula 3, Pascal, Prolog, Scheme, and Turing. We propose
seven language design (or selection) principles which may reduce the incidence of such undesirable features.
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/PDF/SevenDeadlySins.pdf
Actually the whole site is a golden mine for anybody, I guess, interested in PL design and/or pedagogy.
------
la vita e estrany